Mass torts is an always growing area of California wrongful death cases that encompass those deaths and injuries as a result of a drug or product defect or environmental issue. Simply put, a tort is a negligent action that causes death or injury to another. A mass tort is when that same action causes lots of deaths or injuries to a group of people. A common example of a mass tort is a pharmaceutical drug that cases serious injury or death to those that take it. Another example is when there is a defective auto part, such as the brakes or airbags that results in injuries and death.
Common Types of Mass Torts
Mass torts can take many forms but fall into three general categories:
- Pharmaceutical Drugs: Drugs hit the market intended to do one thing (which they very well might) but also cause lots of other serious problems. Sometimes the issues show up immediately and sometimes the issues show up in the children of the mother that took them at some point. Whatever the path and timeline, there is a huge list of mass torts related to drugs.
- Consumer Products: Toys, car parts and just about everything in between can be produced on a large (or small scale) with a design or manufacturing defect that results in injuries or death. In these cases, multiple parties may be held legally and financially responsible in court.
- Environmental: From oil leaks to toxic chemicals, companies and governments can be held responsible for the dangerous and deadly environmental conditions they create.
Class Action Versus Mass Torts
Legal terms and classifications can be confusing. If you are dealing with a mass tort death, you are also likely seeing the term class action everywhere as well. These are different but often related legal terms. Here's a look at their definitions:
- Class Action: As the name suggests, this is a lawsuit that is filed on behalf of a class of people with the same source of injuries. Rather than file many individual cases, putting these cases into a single class action lawsuit can save a lot of time and resources meaning that the individuals injured or killed by a particular product or circumstance get the financial relief they need much faster than they would otherwise. This setup can also help when a single claim is not a lot of money but in the aggregate it is.
- Mass Torts: Mass torts refer to those injuries and death that happen as a result of a defective drug or product. For instance, pharmaceutical drugs can give rise to injuries or death and be classified as a mass tort.
Here's the major distinction: a class action is a single trial whereas a mass tort is an individual trial (although they can sometimes be resolved in a class action format). Why? For many reasons, including the fact that victims of mass torts have a very individualized set of damages unique to the victim and their families.
At Walch Law, we understand how overwhelming and confusing a mass tort lawsuit can be and we are here to help you every step of the way. We have 40+ years experience helping individuals and families in your very situation and have over 95% success record. Whether you are ready to get started or just have general questions you want answered in a safe setting, we are always available for an obligation-free consultation. Get in touch with us today.
Nine Reasons To Choose Us
When looking for a California wrongful death lawyer, you want a law firm that can get you the money you deserve. At Walch Law, we don't just meet our clients' expectations, we exceed them. We win over 95% of our cases and will work hard to get you the same great results we have gotten for so many of our happy clients. When it comes to handing a California wrongful death case, resolving your case as quickly as possible for as much money as possible is how we approach every case.
Founding partner Gary Walch started this law firm to help people in your very situation. With over forty years of experience, you can feel confident that when you hire Walch Law Firm, you are benefiting from his years of experience. Robert Walch has been with the firm since 2000 and has a track record of success, as does the rest of the highly qualified staff at Walch Law. A family firm with the resources of a big law firm means you get the best of both worlds.
There are lots of law firms that will happily take your business but very few will deliver results and handle your case the way that we do. We understand and respect how difficult this time is for you and our family. When you hire Walch Law Firm you are hiring a family firm that you can trust. We have a stellar reputation within the legal community and among our clients.
DON\'T DELETEContingency Fee
For many individuals and families following a death it is not just an emotional time but a stressful financial time as well—hiring an attorney should help relieve this financial stress which is why you hire us on a contingency fee arrangement. Translation: you don't pay for any fees or costs associated with your case until you get paid. We have the financial resources of a large law firm but the accessible environment of a small firm meaning your case won't get lost in the shuffle.
Whenever you are ready, we are available to talk and this open and available communication model is something that our clients enjoy until their case is closed. We keep you informed and updated on your case every step of the way, always explain what's happening in plain English and ultimately deliver on our promise to get you paid.
DON\'T DELETERecent Victories
Winning over 95% of our cases means that you can feel very confident when you hire us to help with your case. Some of our recent victories include a $5,000,000+ settlement for a car accident, $1,250,000 settlement for a wrongful death pedestrian case and $2,500,000 for injuries related to a subway accident.
First and foremost, you are suffering a major traumatic loss and we understand that. We can help with counseling, medical professionals and other important resources during this time. Your focus should be on dealing with this loss, let us take care of all the legal details.
DON\'T DELETEFamily Firm
There are small firms that might not be able to front the costs of your case and there are big law firms that will easily take your case but lack any type of personal touch (and you might have trouble hearing back from them when you want to) and then there's Walch Law Firm. We can handle any case and pride ourselves on our accessibility to clients. Father-son duo Gary & Robert Walch treat everyone like family and this personal touch is something that our clients as well as our employees constantly comment on and appreciate!
DON\'T DELETESe Habla Espanol!
¿Busca un abogado de habla hispana ayudar con su caso de la muerte ilícito de California? No busque más. Somos una firma de abogados de servicio completo de habla hispana que puede ayudarle durante este tiempo difícil tiempo. Llama nos o correo electrónico hoy para su consulta gratuita para aprender más.