Want to know the most common type of California car accidents AND how to avoid them?
According to a recent article in Readers Digest, there are over 6 million car accidents every year in the United States and 40,000 of those are linked to a death. Here's a look at the breakdown:
- Lane Changes: Failure to stay in your lane was the most common cause of a car crash at 33%. Defensive driving and of course signaling help to make sure that you are reacting to the other drivers on the road and letting them know what your intentions are.
- Rear end collisions: Accounting for 23-30% of all crashes, rear end collisions can be hard not to contribute to once you have been hit. Leaving enough room between your vehicle and the car in front of you is the best way to try to avoid a rear end collision.
- Blind spot: Some bigger than others, every car on the road has at least some blind spot and that causes an accident? Not making split second movements in your vehicle to account for your blind spot can help cut down on these accidents.
- Blind left turns: 12% of the total crashes for the year, blind left turns make it hard to see who and how fast a car is coming and can cause serious damage to yourself and your passenger that usually gets the most direct impact.
- Falling asleep at the wheel: dozing off at the wheel is a tale of two numbers-- accounting for 7% of accidents but a whopping 21% of all fatal crashes. While no one plans to take a nap while driving, you know when you are too tired to drive and should pull over and take a nap, enlist your co-pilot or something else that does not involve you endangering your life and those around you.
Especially during the hectic holiday season where drivers are in a hurry, it gets dark earlier and more cars are on the road, it is always important to be aware of other drivers and the potential dangers ahead of you.
At Walch Law, we hope you are never in a car accident but when you are, we are here to help with your recovery. We are a full service personal injury and wrongful death law firm with over 40 years of experience. Getting into a car accident can be a life changing event, we are here to help limit the impact the accident has on your life by providing you with the money you need to deal with your physical, professional and emotional recovery. Want to learn more? Fill out our contact us form and we will be in touch with you shortly.