At Walch Law, we love dogs but know that animals can sometimes turn aggressive and cause serious injuries to others. We handle a lot of these types of Los Angeles dog and animal bite cases and get the same questions over and over again. There are over 4.7 million dog bites in the United States every year and claims in 2016 reached over $600 Million. With that in mind, here's a look at the top 5 dog bite questions we get from our personal injury clients...
- How hard is it to file and win a personal injury suit after being bit by a dog? We get it, filing a Los Angeles dog bite lawsuit sounds like a hassle. But it isn't! When you hire us, we take care of everything. Filing a suit is as easy as one consultation. Winning a dog bite lawsuit can be a different story depending on the nature of the attack, the dog owner and other factors but during your consultation with us we will give you a very realistic idea of what your case is worth.
- Who am I suing following a dog bite? You are suing the owner of the dog since they are legally responsible for the actions of their animal. In most cases, the money we are going after is via the owner's homeowners insurance which usually has some policy coverage for animal attacks (barring certain types of animals). If the dog owner is not also a homeowner then we will be filing a personal injury lawsuit directly against him or her.
- How much is a dog bite case worth? There's no magic calculator until we see medical records and more but things that go into this equation are a lot of things you already know-- how much work did you miss and how much did that cost you? How much have you spent on medical bills so far? And do you have any permanent scarring? Add up those answers and you are well on your way to getting a good idea of how much your dog bite case might be worth. To give you a more concrete answer, In 2016 (the most recent year with data), the average dog bite claim was just under $30,000.
- What should I do after a dog bite?: Take care of your injuries is the absolute most important thing to do. It is also important to exchange information with the other party (so we know who to track down), take pictures of your injuries and also write down your recollection of how things happened. Evidence like this is extremely important in presenting your best case. The sooner you call us the better not just because the evidence is fresh and easier to collect but it also means that we can get started on getting your compensated faster.
- How can an attorney help with my Los Angeles dog bite case?: At Walch Law, we do everything. If you need help finding and paying for medical care, we can help with that. If you want to not worry about the case but know it's handled, that's what we do for all our clients. And if you want a case update on a Saturday, we work 24/7 for our clients. We maximize your financial recovery and help you focus on your physical recovery.
At Walch Law, we have decades of experience handling hundreds of Los Angeles and Southern California dog bite cases and can help get you the same great results we have gotten for so many of our happy clients in the past. Fill out our contact form to set up your free consultation today to learn more.