Defects in medical products is a growing issue as products advertised as a solution for a physical issue turn dangerous and deadly because of a defect in the product. While this is an area heavily regulated by the FDA, injuries and deaths as a result of defective medical products happen every day. Much of the approval data the FDA relies on these days is actually the test results from the manufacturer-- data that can be skewed, incomplete or a combination of the two. In 1976, the FDA adopted an expedited review process for certain medical devices that were similar to those already approved on the market. Known as 510(k), the unintended consequences of this fast and cheap review has been a surge of seriously dangerous medical devices.
Defective Medical Products
How does a defective medical product enter the market in the first place? There are three general sources:
- Design: A lot of the defective medical designs are a direct result of the 510(k) approval allowing defectively designed and not appropriately tested medical devices on the market. These medical devices are heavily marketed to you, the patient at your own physical expense.
- Manufacturing process: When there is an issue with the actual production of the medical device, there is likely nothing wrong with the device but something went terribly wrong in the manufacturing process that turned the product from safe to deadly.
- Warnings & Recall: Failure to properly warn and failure to institute an adequate or timely recall can also result in financial liability on the part of the medical device company.
Current Medical Device Cases
At Walch Law, we only handle serious personal injury and wrongful death cases. We stay up to date on all defective medical products and work with highly qualified and knowledgeable medical professionals to make sure that we are presenting the most convincing evidence for your case. Some of the current medical device cases we accept include:
- DePuy Pinnacle Hips: A metal on metal hip replacement and resurfacing device produced by Johnson & Johnson that has caused patients pain, loss of mobility, total failure and other major health problems.
- Stryker Rejuvenate & ABG II: Stryker's Rejuvenate and ABG II hip replacements were voluntarily recalled back in 2012 after it was discovered that fretting and corrosion was occurring in patients causing intense pain and swelling, among other things.
- Transvaginal Mesh: Used to help correct pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence in women, transvaginal mesh has been used since the 1970's, although not approved by the FDA until 2002. Extremely popular, almost 300,000 transvaginal mesh surgeries were performed in 2010 alone. Unfortunately, erosion of the mesh is a major problem that has contributed to everything from urinary problems to death.
- da Vinci Robotic Surgery: Intuitive Surgical designed the DaVinci Robot to help perform a range of surgeries. The main issues with the DaVinci Robot are connected to the limited training a surgeon has with the machine before using it on major surgeries-- causing major medical problems.
- Power Morcellators: Used for grinding uterine fibers into tiny pieces to be removed. Unfortunately, not all of the fibers are removed in many cases, spreading cancer. Lawsuits relate to both the issue with the morcellator and the failure to adequately warn patients of the risks associated with this machine.
- NuvaRing Birth Control: A very popular birth control mainly because of the ease of use, the NuvaRing has been connected to everything from blood clots to death in patients.
Don't see your product? Don't worry-- just get in touch with us today and let's chat about your case. We take all our defective medical device cases on a contingency basis, are available 24/7 to our clients and have an over 95% success rate.
Nine Reasons To Choose Us
When looking for a California wrongful death lawyer, you want a law firm that can get you the money you deserve. At Walch Law, we don't just meet our clients' expectations, we exceed them. We win over 95% of our cases and will work hard to get you the same great results we have gotten for so many of our happy clients. When it comes to handing a California wrongful death case, resolving your case as quickly as possible for as much money as possible is how we approach every case.
Founding partner Gary Walch started this law firm to help people in your very situation. With over forty years of experience, you can feel confident that when you hire Walch Law Firm, you are benefiting from his years of experience. Robert Walch has been with the firm since 2000 and has a track record of success, as does the rest of the highly qualified staff at Walch Law. A family firm with the resources of a big law firm means you get the best of both worlds.
There are lots of law firms that will happily take your business but very few will deliver results and handle your case the way that we do. We understand and respect how difficult this time is for you and our family. When you hire Walch Law Firm you are hiring a family firm that you can trust. We have a stellar reputation within the legal community and among our clients.
DON\'T DELETEContingency Fee
For many individuals and families following a death it is not just an emotional time but a stressful financial time as well—hiring an attorney should help relieve this financial stress which is why you hire us on a contingency fee arrangement. Translation: you don't pay for any fees or costs associated with your case until you get paid. We have the financial resources of a large law firm but the accessible environment of a small firm meaning your case won't get lost in the shuffle.
Whenever you are ready, we are available to talk and this open and available communication model is something that our clients enjoy until their case is closed. We keep you informed and updated on your case every step of the way, always explain what's happening in plain English and ultimately deliver on our promise to get you paid.
DON\'T DELETERecent Victories
Winning over 95% of our cases means that you can feel very confident when you hire us to help with your case. Some of our recent victories include a $5,000,000+ settlement for a car accident, $1,250,000 settlement for a wrongful death pedestrian case and $2,500,000 for injuries related to a subway accident.
First and foremost, you are suffering a major traumatic loss and we understand that. We can help with counseling, medical professionals and other important resources during this time. Your focus should be on dealing with this loss, let us take care of all the legal details.
DON\'T DELETEFamily Firm
There are small firms that might not be able to front the costs of your case and there are big law firms that will easily take your case but lack any type of personal touch (and you might have trouble hearing back from them when you want to) and then there's Walch Law Firm. We can handle any case and pride ourselves on our accessibility to clients. Father-son duo Gary & Robert Walch treat everyone like family and this personal touch is something that our clients as well as our employees constantly comment on and appreciate!
DON\'T DELETESe Habla Espanol!
¿Busca un abogado de habla hispana ayudar con su caso de la muerte ilícito de California? No busque más. Somos una firma de abogados de servicio completo de habla hispana que puede ayudarle durante este tiempo difícil tiempo. Llama nos o correo electrónico hoy para su consulta gratuita para aprender más.