When you file a California wrongful death case you have the option between taking your case to trial or settling outside of the courtroom. There are pros and cons to each approach depending on the nature of your case, your goals and of course the defendants involved. The vast majority of any personal injury case settles well before it goes to trial which can ultimately save everyone involved time and money. Those cases that do go to trial are almost always because the defendant is not offering an amount that is acceptable to the plaintiff or flat out denying any type of responsibility at all. At Walch Law, we have decades of experience with both types of case resolution.
Features of a California Wrongful Death Settlement
As the name suggests, a settlement means that the parties were able to settle their dispute outside of course. Ultimately just as legally binding and final as it would be if it was decided by a judge or jury, here's a look at some of the key features of a settlement:
- Faster: whether you need the funds that will come out of the case to make up for the absence of the deceased or you just do not want to have to deal with your case for any longer than you have to, a settlement is almost always faster (much faster) than taking a case to trial. This is especially true lately where the court calendar is so packed that getting your first day in court can take months to a year.
- Certainty: at the end of a settlement you know exactly what you are agreeing on and getting from the other party. The certainty of a settlement can be a very attractive feature for many people, especially if you are unsure about how a judge or jury might rule on your case.
- Privacy: Many people want the details of their settlement to be private for a variety of reasons and that is a feature we can help work into any settlement agreement.
Features of a California Wrongful Death Trial
Some of our clients come into our offices knowing that they want to go to trial. Some are dealing with a difficult opposing party and quickly realize that trial is the only option. Very different in form that a settlement, here's a look at some of the key features of a wrongful death trial include:
- Higher Judgement: With a settlement you are taking a known figure but when you go to trial, you never know the amount you are going to get. It can be lower than it would have been had you settled but it can also be much higher.
- Visibility: The opposite of the privacy some people seek with a settlement, some individuals want to make their wrongful death case public so that there is increased exposure and pressure on the defendant. The interest in exposure is common for cases against large companies (for instance, automobile product defects) or the government.
- Uncertainty: While a high judgement is a very real possibility, so too is the possibility that a judge or jury may not see things the way you and your legal team does. There is a lot more uncertainty when it comes to timeline, judgement and just about everything else when any case goes to trial.
Which Option Is Better For You?
Should you settle or go to trial for your wrongful death case? That answer depends on a lot of things including the nature of the death, the defendant and the emotional and financial needs of you and your family. Ultimately the decision is up to you and as your attorneys we are here to guide you through whichever process you choose. We have the experience you want in a settlement negotiation or trial. During your initial consultation with us, we will answer all of your questions about this and everything else related to your case. We are available 24/7 to all our clients throughout the duration of their cases because we know the importance of getting answers and updates how and when you want them. If you are dealing with a California wrongful death case and want to know more about your legal options, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us today.
Nine Reasons To Choose Us
When looking for a California wrongful death lawyer, you want a law firm that can get you the money you deserve. At Walch Law, we don't just meet our clients' expectations, we exceed them. We win over 95% of our cases and will work hard to get you the same great results we have gotten for so many of our happy clients. When it comes to handing a California wrongful death case, resolving your case as quickly as possible for as much money as possible is how we approach every case.
Founding partner Gary Walch started this law firm to help people in your very situation. With over forty years of experience, you can feel confident that when you hire Walch Law Firm, you are benefiting from his years of experience. Robert Walch has been with the firm since 2000 and has a track record of success, as does the rest of the highly qualified staff at Walch Law. A family firm with the resources of a big law firm means you get the best of both worlds.
There are lots of law firms that will happily take your business but very few will deliver results and handle your case the way that we do. We understand and respect how difficult this time is for you and our family. When you hire Walch Law Firm you are hiring a family firm that you can trust. We have a stellar reputation within the legal community and among our clients.
DON\'T DELETEContingency Fee
For many individuals and families following a death it is not just an emotional time but a stressful financial time as well—hiring an attorney should help relieve this financial stress which is why you hire us on a contingency fee arrangement. Translation: you don't pay for any fees or costs associated with your case until you get paid. We have the financial resources of a large law firm but the accessible environment of a small firm meaning your case won't get lost in the shuffle.
Whenever you are ready, we are available to talk and this open and available communication model is something that our clients enjoy until their case is closed. We keep you informed and updated on your case every step of the way, always explain what's happening in plain English and ultimately deliver on our promise to get you paid.
DON\'T DELETERecent Victories
Winning over 95% of our cases means that you can feel very confident when you hire us to help with your case. Some of our recent victories include a $5,000,000+ settlement for a car accident, $1,250,000 settlement for a wrongful death pedestrian case and $2,500,000 for injuries related to a subway accident.
First and foremost, you are suffering a major traumatic loss and we understand that. We can help with counseling, medical professionals and other important resources during this time. Your focus should be on dealing with this loss, let us take care of all the legal details.
DON\'T DELETEFamily Firm
There are small firms that might not be able to front the costs of your case and there are big law firms that will easily take your case but lack any type of personal touch (and you might have trouble hearing back from them when you want to) and then there's Walch Law Firm. We can handle any case and pride ourselves on our accessibility to clients. Father-son duo Gary & Robert Walch treat everyone like family and this personal touch is something that our clients as well as our employees constantly comment on and appreciate!
DON\'T DELETESe Habla Espanol!
¿Busca un abogado de habla hispana ayudar con su caso de la muerte ilícito de California? No busque más. Somos una firma de abogados de servicio completo de habla hispana que puede ayudarle durante este tiempo difícil tiempo. Llama nos o correo electrónico hoy para su consulta gratuita para aprender más.