Contact Us for a Free Consultation 1-844-999-5342


What Do I Do If The Other Driver Doesn't Have Insurance?

Posted by Robert Walch | Dec 11, 2017 | 0 Comments

Shutterstock 282272219

It's hard to avoid a car accident and near impossible to choose who the other party to the accident is. This is especially true in Los Angeles where the roads seem to get more crowded by the day! While the state of California requires drivers to carry certain minimum insurance amounts, that doesn't mean that drivers don't illegally disregard this important driving requirement all the time. While this can be an extremely frustrating discovery following an already frustrating car or motorcycle accident, it does not mean that you can't still get money following your Los Angeles car accident? 


Simple-- when you are hit by an uninsured driver, you still have at least two options for financial recovery:

  • The other driver: Just because they do not have insurance does not mean they are not financially responsible for their portion of the car accident. You can file a personal injury lawsuit against them directly but the problem is the collection aspect-- usually people that do not carry insurance do so not because they forgot but because they don't have the funds to pay for insurance. If they don't have funds to pay for car insurance, it can be really difficult to track down your judgement against them too.
  • Your own insurance: Unlike the other driver to the accident, you pay your insurance premiums every year but have probably (unless you have been in an accident before) paid little attention to the details of your policy. You have very likely been paying for uninsured motorist coverage to help you out in this very situation. What uninsrued motorist coverage does is simple-- it provides a set number of funds that you can recover when you are in a car accident with a driver that is at fault but does not carry insurance. Within this insurance are two types of coverage-- one for bodily harm and one for property damage. What that means is that you have different (or maybe the same) limits to help get you money for the injuries you sustained (i.e. hospital trip, broken bones or even death) and another coverage amount that helps to get you money for the damage to your property (i.e. your car). It is a similar process when you are dealing with an underinsured driver car accident-- those scenarios where the other party has insurance coverage but not enough to meet your needs.

Confused? That's ok, we will explain everything to you! At Walch Law, we are here to help you with all of your Los Angeles car accident needs-- including medical help. Getting in a car accident is a life-changing event. Our goal is to help limit the impact the accident has had on your life and get you the funds you need as quickly as possible. We take all of our cases on a contingency fee basis meaning that you don't pay us until we get you paid. Want to learn more? Set up your obligation-free consultation with us today! We look forward to hearing from you. 

About the Author

Robert Walch

Partner Robert Walch is passionate about helping individuals and families that are dealing with the aftermath of a serious personal injury or wrongful death accident. Robert has been working at Walch Law since 2000 and has developed a reputation as a caring and compassionate attorney that keeps his clients in the loop on the progress of their case and works hard to get the best results possible. Robert is a huge reason why the Walch Law Firm has a success rate of over 95% on their serious personal injury and wrongful death cases.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

We are here to help. Get in touch with us today to begin your financial recovery.