Whether it is a car, truck or even a motorcycle– when one of these moving vehicles hits a pedestrian, it simply isn’t a fair fight. Even in a marked crosswalk, drivers may not be paying adequate attention to the road and their surroundings, often ending in a tragedy. According to the NHSTA, a pedestrian is killed every two hours and account for 14% of all car accident fatalities. Unfortunately, the state of California leads the nation in pedestrian deaths
COMMON CAUSES OF PEDESTRIAN DEATHS
Some of the more common scenarios that lead to pedestrian deaths and serious injuries include:
- Poor lighting: dusk and after dark when it is harder to see increases the chance of a pedestrian being struck by a car or truck
- Urban areas: the increased foot and car traffic of an urban area also increases the chance for an accident. California is a huge driving state with a record number of cars and trucks on the roadways, especially in busy cities
- Outside the intersection: While accidents happen in marked intersection, not surprisingly, more pedestrians are struck outside of an intersection than in one. A lot of pedestrian deaths are partially the fault of the pedestrian but much like a deadly car accident when the deceased contributes to the accident, you can still recover in these scenarios of shared negligence. In these cases, the recovery will be reduced by the determined percentage of pedestrian negligence. For instance if the driver is found 75% responsible and the pedestrian 25% responsible for the death then the recovery would be 25% less than had the driver been 100% responsible for the accident.
- Distracted driving: there are more distractions than ever today (the majority of which can be attributed to cellphones) and they are resulting in alarmingly high number of driving accidents.
- Violating traffic laws: running lights, speeding and other common traffic violations can turn deadly when a pedestrian is nearby
- Children: Drivers owe a special duty to children pedestrians
Dealing with the aftermath of a death is often a confusing, emotional and frustrating time. One thing you do not want to do is wait and miss the opportunity to recover financially for your loss.
WHO PAYS FOR PEDESTRIAN DEATHS?
A pedestrian wrongful death case is the same legal process had it been two cars hitting each other. During your initial free consultation with us we will go over the specifics of the tragic accident and answer the many questions you might have. Who pays for a pedestrian death is almost always the insurance company of the driver and deceased and sometimes there are personal or other (city, state, etc)sources we will go after as well.
Some of the potential areas of recovery
- Hospital and other medical bills
- Loss of income (current and potential)
- Loss of companionship
- and much more
For many, the money that can come from filing a wrongful death case following a pedestrian accident can help fill the important financial void the family is now missing. Time is of the essence when it comes to these cases so do not miss the chance to recover. You only have two years from the time of the death to get a case filed. At Walch Law, we know that dealing with a legal case is the last thing you want to do during this difficult time and we will make the process as easy on you and your family as possible. We pride ourselves on the personal approach we take to every single case we take on. If you are dealing with the death or seriously personal injury of a loved one following a pedestrian accident, give us a call today to discuss things further. We are here to help.
Nine Reasons To Choose Us
When looking for a California wrongful death lawyer, you want a law firm that can get you the money you deserve. At Walch Law, we don't just meet our clients' expectations, we exceed them. We win over 95% of our cases and will work hard to get you the same great results we have gotten for so many of our happy clients. When it comes to handing a California wrongful death case, resolving your case as quickly as possible for as much money as possible is how we approach every case.
Founding partner Gary Walch started this law firm to help people in your very situation. With over forty years of experience, you can feel confident that when you hire Walch Law Firm, you are benefiting from his years of experience. Robert Walch has been with the firm since 2000 and has a track record of success, as does the rest of the highly qualified staff at Walch Law. A family firm with the resources of a big law firm means you get the best of both worlds.
There are lots of law firms that will happily take your business but very few will deliver results and handle your case the way that we do. We understand and respect how difficult this time is for you and our family. When you hire Walch Law Firm you are hiring a family firm that you can trust. We have a stellar reputation within the legal community and among our clients.
DON\'T DELETEContingency Fee
For many individuals and families following a death it is not just an emotional time but a stressful financial time as well—hiring an attorney should help relieve this financial stress which is why you hire us on a contingency fee arrangement. Translation: you don't pay for any fees or costs associated with your case until you get paid. We have the financial resources of a large law firm but the accessible environment of a small firm meaning your case won't get lost in the shuffle.
Whenever you are ready, we are available to talk and this open and available communication model is something that our clients enjoy until their case is closed. We keep you informed and updated on your case every step of the way, always explain what's happening in plain English and ultimately deliver on our promise to get you paid.
DON\'T DELETERecent Victories
Winning over 95% of our cases means that you can feel very confident when you hire us to help with your case. Some of our recent victories include a $5,000,000+ settlement for a car accident, $1,250,000 settlement for a wrongful death pedestrian case and $2,500,000 for injuries related to a subway accident.
First and foremost, you are suffering a major traumatic loss and we understand that. We can help with counseling, medical professionals and other important resources during this time. Your focus should be on dealing with this loss, let us take care of all the legal details.
DON\'T DELETEFamily Firm
There are small firms that might not be able to front the costs of your case and there are big law firms that will easily take your case but lack any type of personal touch (and you might have trouble hearing back from them when you want to) and then there's Walch Law Firm. We can handle any case and pride ourselves on our accessibility to clients. Father-son duo Gary & Robert Walch treat everyone like family and this personal touch is something that our clients as well as our employees constantly e!
DON\'T DELETESe Habla Espanol!
¿Busca un abogado de habla hispana ayudar con su caso de la muerte ilícito de California? No busque más. Somos una firma de abogados de servicio completo de habla hispana que puede ayudarle durante este tiempo difícil tiempo. Llama nos o correo electrónico hoy para su consulta gratuita para aprender más.